Wednesday, March 30, 2011

April Fools Day Snack




Do you celebrate April Fools Day?

We used to play tricks on each other and on my parents when we were little. However, we were definitely NOT very creative! I remember one April Fools Day we decided to serve a lunch of hot dogs to my parents in the other room and sneakily left out the hot dog. Funny, huh? Not really.

Last year on April Fools Day, I served my boys blue milk with their breakfast cereal. They refused to eat breakfast that morning. So you can see the creative juices haven't grown since my younger days!

BUT... this year I came across a snack that would make a great April Fools snack without even trying. Completely accidental. Honest. That's why it might just work for you!


Salsa, anyone?




Oh, and how about some sour cream and chips with that?

I think these CINNAMON chips might give the trick away. This is Fruit salsa with a cream cheese dip and cinnamon tortilla chips!

I made this for some friends the other night and it completely fooled them. I didn't mean to, so it was all very amusing to me. One friend wasn't in the mood for salsa, but my husband convinced him to just try MY salsa. Another friend was convinced the white dip was sour cream, even after trying the fruit salsa!

I got the recipe from Amy, who also happens to be in our bake club (thanks, Amy!), here it is:

Cinnamon Chips & Fruit Salsa


INGREDIENTS:

2 kiwis, peeled and diced
2 apples - peeled and diced
1 can diced or crushed pineapple OR chopped peaches
1 pound strawberries or raspberries
2 tablespoons white sugar, or adjust depending on amount of sweetness you want
3 tablespoons fruit preserves, any flavor
10 (10 inch) flour tortillas
butter flavored cooking spray
1/4 C cinnamon sugar (I always like having extra for toast later on!)

DIRECTIONS:

1. In a large bowl, thoroughly mix all fruits, sugar, & preserves. Cover and chill in the
refrigerator at least 15 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
3. Cut tortillas into wedges and arrange in a single layer on a large baking sheet. Spray with
cooking spray, turn wedges over, and spray other side. Sprinkle wedges with desired amount of
cinnamon sugar. Spray lightly again with cooking spray.
4. Bake in the preheated oven 8 to 10 minutes. Repeat with any remaining tortilla wedges.
Allow to cool approximately 15 minutes. Serve with chilled fruit mixture. Serves 6-8 hungry friends.


You can mix and match any type of fruit you want, really. And to ease the chopping experience, I used my hand chopper from Pampered Chef. It didn't create a "pretty" salsa like my friend Amy's, but I was in survival mode at that point...

...Want to know what happened in the time span it took me to make this salsa? My 7-year-old had a bloody nose and then accidently wet his pants (um, that hasn't happened in YEARS), my 4-year-old locked himself in the bathroom (and I couldn't let him out because he was in the bathroom with the 100-year-old door and lock), and my 2-year-old hit his head, giving himself a goose egg. So hand chopper it was.





Cheesecake Chip Dip (from Stacy's brand pita chips)



Ingredients:
3 oz. Neufchatel cheese, softened
2 T white sugar
3 T low-fat milk
2 C frozen whipped topping, thawed
1 tsp vanilla extract

Directions:
In a mixing bowl, combine the Neufchatel cheese, sugar, and milk. (I use my food processor to guarantee smooth texture). Mix until smooth. Gently combine the whipped topping and vanilla with the mixture. Serve chilled with tortilla chips. Serves 6-8.

By the way, I did get my 4-year-old out of the bathroom. Actually God did. My son told me later that he prayed to God that he would get out, and then he was able to figure out the lock. Yeah, God!

Have a fun April Fools Day! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment