Saturday, January 29, 2011

Making Whoopie.... pies!



Until a few days ago, the word "whoopie" made my kiddos immediately think of the amazingly cool whoopie cushion they got in their stockings last Christmas.

For me, the song, "Making Whoopie" would always come to mind. I will not share any more.


Typical of our incredible English language there is yet ANOTHER definition of "whoopie", associated with the whoopie pie. History lesson alert: Whoopie pies originated with the Amish. Story has it they would make these little cakes from leftover batter. I guess they still sell them on roadside stands out East. I went to college in Ohio and we would often see Amish buggies stroll down the main street through the college campus. The "clip-clap" of the horses was always a welcome distraction during my studies. But I never saw one whoopie pie while there.... unfortunately. Because they are DELICIOUS!!!



When my new Family Fun magazine had a simple recipe for these treats, I decided to try them myself. Their recipe added red food coloring to the marshmallow cream frosting to add a Valentine's Day touch, but I didn't want to do that. "Why have something pink if it's not going to taste like something that's pink?" I asked myself.

So I added strawberries (which, believe it or not, made the frosting pink... imagine that!)

I also wanted to use my new cookie cutters I just picked up from the store, so I cut out a little heart on the top layer. Cute, huh?


And since I'm still trying to get rid of some pregnancy weight (I know, my youngest is almost 2), I'm farming these pies out to everyone, INCLUDING my little guy. What was I thinking? That was a fun one to clean up.

Yep, I think he pretty much licked the frosting out of it and smashed the rest. For the record, though, one of my other tasters (my hubby) said these whoopie pies are one of his favorite things that I've ever baked (and I bake a lot!). So.... you gotta try them!

Strawberry Whoopie Pies (adapted from Family Fun, 2/11)

For the cakes:
2 C flour
1/2 C unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 C buttermilk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 C softened butter
1 C sugar
1 egg

For the filling:
1/2 C softened butter
1 - 3/4 C confectioner's sugar
1 - 1/2 C marshmallow cream
1/2 C diced strawberries (frozen or freeze-dried with water added), drained of excess water

1. Heat oven to 350 F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper (or use silpat sheet).
2. In medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. In a glass measuring cup or small bowl, stir together buttermilk and vanilla extract.
3. In large bowl mix butter and sugar at medium speed until evenly blended, about 1-2 min. Add the egg, increase speed to high and beat until smooth, one minute more.
4. Pour half the flour mixture into the butter-sugar mixture and beat on low speed at first, then medium speed until combined. Add the buttermilk mixture and continue beating until just blended. Add remaining flour mixture and beat on low.
5. Use a cookie scoop (or soup spoon) to scoop out batter onto prepared cookie sheet. Flatten the mounds of batter slightly with the back of a spoon. (See picture above)
6. Bake the cakes for 10 min (they should be moist and spongy). Let them cool for 2 min before transferring cakes onto cooling rack.
7. For the filling, beat all the ingredients on medium-high speed, adding the strawberries last. If filling is too runny, feel free to add more sugar and marshmallow cream. The strawberries add moisture, so you may need to play around with the ingredients until you get a thicker consistency.
8. To make each pie, scoop filling onto the bottom of a cake, and gently press another cake ontop.
9. Listen for shouts of "whoopie!" as you give your children these treats. :)

1 comment:

  1. These look DELICIOUS!!! Maybe I'll try them. Do you like Family Fun? I've never read that one.

    ReplyDelete