Friday, October 29, 2010

Intro to Cake Pops!



I have been obsessed with a baker named Bakerella. She makes these things called cake pops and cake balls that are really good, but also very fun to make! To see her creations, check out her blog here. But... maybe you shouldn't look at her cake pops before looking at mine! :) Hers are amazing!! She also just released a cookbook.

My first attempt at these balls was this past spring. I wanted something unique to give to the kids' teachers as a thank you at the end of the year. So I made apples!




So what exactly are these you ask? They're actually very easy to make. You bake a cake (boxed or homemade), crumble it up, add 3/4 can of frosting, mix it up, roll little balls, let chill in fridge/freezer, then dip them in candy coating. For the actual recipe, go to her website. To make the apples, I had to form the cake balls into apple shapes of course, and I used a pretzel and large sprinkles for the decorations. The cake balls sit on a lollipop stick that you can buy at craft stores. That makes them fun to eat! Here's another cake pop project (totally copied from Bakerella by the way):



Fun, huh? The boys had fun making their own faces on these. By the way, be sure to use edible markers! (you can buy them at craft stores or online).

So with Halloween coming up I thought it'd be fun to do some pumpkins! A friend of mine and her daughter decided to tackle the project with my son and me, and now I'm kicking myself for not taking pictures because it's always entertaining when you get kids involved!


We reminded ourselves that nature is not perfect, and so our pumpkins should not be either! :)


Ian's "warty" pumpkin!

And why not throw in a few mummies, skeletons and ghosts while we're at it?!


Happy Halloween everyone!

2 comments:

  1. Super cute!!! I just read the Pioneer Woman (a huge blog!) mention Bakerella, so she must be pretty big too! Cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the mummy -- but I seriously doubt I have the skills or patience to tackle these.

    ReplyDelete